Friday, February 25, 2011

I'M (kinda) PREGNANT!

Romans 8:27-31 He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him.  After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up by calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun.  So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? 


I've known ever since I was a child that I wanted to adopt children.  It's our Biblical responsibility to help the orphans (and widows...), and I do not take that lightly.  I know that providing a loving, godly, safe home for a child that does not have one is part of my calling, and it is something that has been growing inside of me for many years.  God placed that desire there, and He is faithful to bring it to fruition!  Felix and I have been debating when might be the "right" time.  When Felix has a salary position? When we have a bigger house? When our kids are older? When I can "handle" another child? When we have moved to the East coast and planted a church?... It will NEVER be the "right" time, whether financially, emotionally, physically... whatever the excuse may be, God has challenged us to put aside the excuses.  I recently read some amazing verses in 2 Corinthians 8:2-8


Though they have been going through much trouble and hard times, their wonderful joy and deep poverty have overflowed in rich generosity. For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford but far more. And they did it of their own free will... Best of all, they went beyond our highest hopes, for their first action was to dedicate themselves to the Lord and to us for whatever directions God might give them... Since you excel in so many ways -- you have so much faith, such gifted speakers, such knowledge, such enthusiasm, and such love for us-- now I want you to excel also in this gracious ministry of giving... This is one way to prove your love is real. 


See, generosity cannot be compartmentalized, "I'll be generous with my finances, but not my home," or, "I'll give you my time, but not my money."  You are either generous or you aren't.  Generosity is "one way to prove your love is real."  It is my desire, that in this time where it is MOST inconvenient financially, that from our "wonderful joy and deep poverty (not in comparison, but you get the idea) would overflow rich generosity!"  


So... this thing that was birthed inside of me long ago is finally in the works!  Felix and I will begin our training and approval process in March, and look forward with deep anticipation to meeting the new lives that will soon become intertwined with ours :) God knows me better than I know myself.  He knows the dreams and desires He's placed in my heart, and He knows the perfect time to complete the work He started long ago! I'm so excited to serve such a merciful God!

4 comments:

  1. The title almost gave me a heart attack..!! Excited for your family and that we'll be going through the journey together, our dreams of brown skinned babies will come to fruition one way or another!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping this was what your title meant! We need to catch up SOON!!! I would love to talk to you about these and so many other wonderful things.

    Love you though I feel I should barely know you.
    SINCERELY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so WONDERFUL!
    I'm excited to meet the new member of the Quinones family someday soon!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, Rach! That's wonderful! Have you decided if you're adopting domestically or internationally?

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete